If you're wondering which skincare mistakes you're making and how you can boost your every day skincare routine, we're here to help!
After all, here at Wake Skincare we know a thing or two about healthy skin!
Truth be told, we all want that perfect skin but sometimes it seems like we're doing everything wrong, especially if we're playing the compare game.
How do the celebrities always have that dewy glow? Are they born with it? (Nope.) Do they use a secret skincare regimen? (Mostly, no).
The truth is, most of them just avoid common skincare mistakes.
In this post, we'll share 5 of the most damaging skincare mistakes people make, and how to fix them.
Spoiler alert: It's easier to take good care of your skin than you may think!
5 Skincare Mistakes You're Probably Still Making in 2022 (And How To Easily Fix Them)
1. Not Getting Enough (Quality) Sleep
Hands down one of the most common skincare mistakes is not getting enough sleep.
Remember, when you don't get enough sleep, your skin is one of the first things to suffer.
That's because when you're tired, your cortisol levels increase, which can lead to breakouts, fine lines and wrinkles.
So make sure you get your beauty sleep!
If you're wondering "how much sleep do I need?", know that this differs from person to person.
While some people need as little as 4 hours per night and others do better with 6 hours, most people need closer to 8 hours of sleep per night.
If you're having trouble getting that much (quality) sleep, try the following "hacks":
- Set a reminder on your phone to start your pre-sleeping routine one hour before you need to go to bed. At that time, turn off your screens (as in ALL of them!), take care of your nightly bathroom routine and go to bed. Once you're tucked in, read a (physical) book for 20-45 minutes. This routine relaxes the mind and helps you feel drowsy.
- Most people sleep better in a cool environment. So consider opening a window for some fresh air or turn on the AC if you have a unit.
- Limit your fluid intake about an hour to an hour and a half before you go to bed. That way, you're less likely to wake up for a bathroom break.
- Keep your bedroom as dark as possible. If you only have blinds, consider investing into darkening curtains you can pull shut on top of the blinds.
2. Not Drinking Enough Water
Did you know that skin cells mostly consist of water?
So yep, you guessed it: another common skincare faux pas is not to drink enough H20.
When you don't drink enough water, your skin becomes dry and dehydrated, losing elasticity.
This is because water is essential for transporting nutrients to the skin and helping to flush out toxins.
Ergo, if you're not drinking enough water, your skin will become depleted of essential nutrients and toxins will accumulate, leading to skin problems such as:
- Dry, itchy skin
- Dull looking skin
- Fine lines being more noticeable
To avoid this, make sure to drink plenty of water every day, on average around 3 litres per day.
...and nope, sodas don't count towards your water intake!
3. Not Eating Healthy
Continuing on our list of biggest mistakes you can make when it comes to your skin is not paying attention to your diet.
Eating unhealthy, highly processed foods leads to congestion, breakouts and dullness.
When you're eating clean, your skin has a chance to thrive.
So make sure to incorporate plenty of fruits and vegetables into your diet, and remember to drink lots of water too!
4. Too Much Sun & Nicotine Exposure
Chances are you're familiar with the sun's damaging effects on the skin.
But just to recap, too much sun exposure can lead to:
- Premature ageing
- Sun spots
- Skin cancer
That's why it's important to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine, in order to protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
If you're not currently using an SPF, now is the time to start.
Likewise, too much nicotine is really bad for your skin too!
That said, smoking affects your skin in 3 main ways because it damages collagen and elastin which causes:
- Premature ageing and deep facial wrinkles
- Uneven skin pigmentation
- Baggy eyes
Sounds like a pretty good reason to quit smoking, right? Although quitting can't reverse skin damage, what happens when you don't smoke for just 30 days is still worth it:
- Your skin will look more radiant
- It'll prevent further skin damage
- The yellow skin on your fingers will turn back to its original colour
5. Not Washing Your Face Before Going to Sleep
Last but not least on our list of common skincare mistakes is not washing your face before going to bed!
When you're all done for the day, your makeup, sunscreen and dirt are still sitting on your skin, just waiting to cause inflammation and blemishes.
Not to mention, if you go to bed with makeup on, you're more likely to wake up with panda eyes. Gross!
That's why you should make it a habit to wash your face every night, even if you're tired. It really doesn't take long when you think about it - less than a minute, and you'll be thanking yourself in the morning!
Tip: Our Facial Cleansing Gel is a great option for this because it's gentle enough for everyday use and helps to remove all traces of sunscreen, makeup, sweat and dirt.
Facial Cleansing Gel:
- Dissolves impurities and unclogs pores to reveal a brighter complexion
- Reduces dryness caused by blue light exposure by hydrating and replenishing your skin’s barrier to irritation
- Prevents breakouts that occur from working out & a busy lifestyle
- Protects the environment by using 100% recycled plastic
- All ingredients have been carefully selected in order to create the best facial cleanser for an active lifestyle
- Reduce blemishes caused by a non-stop lifestyle
- Target fine lines that result from irregular sleeping patterns
5 Skincare Mistakes You're Probably Still Making in 2022 (And How To Fix Them)
We all make mistakes when it comes to skincare, but luckily, most of them are easy enough to fix!
Just by following our simple tips and tricks, you can avoid common skincare mistakes and keep your skin looking and feeling its best:
- Get 8 hours of quality sleep each night
- Drink 3 litres of water per day
- Avoid highly processed foods
- Eat your veggies/fruit
- Use SPF
- Quit smoking
- Wash your face before you go to bed
So there you have it – now start making the changes you need to get the clear, healthy skin you deserve!
**Did you know? We're offering free UK delivery on orders over £30 and free international delivery on orders over £60!**